Monday 6 August 2012

Simplicity 5540: Take One, Two, and...

I have to say that I didn't think that it was going to take me this long to sew Simplicity 5540. I just couldn't keep my focus on this project this weekend. I guess I'm on laid-back long weekend mode like the rest of my Canadian folks.

But there were no movies playing in the theatre that I wanted to watch. I'm waiting for Life of Pi to hit the theatres. I'm not into camping, so that was out.  Nothing appealing theatre-wise was playing this weekend.

So, what did I manage to get accomplished deep in my sew procrastination mode?  

Not much.  

Today, the last day of the long weekend, I tried to get back to the sewing machine to finish off Simplicity 5540.  

There were a few blunders that I must share.  

 Bunder #1:  Beware of automatic thread clippers when sewing gathering stitches. I'm sewing this dress on a Janome 4120 which has a built-in thread clipper.

I love this feature on my sewing machine but I totally forgot about it when I started my gathering stitches. Oops. Cut! And Take Two!

Bunder #2:  Beware when cutting multi-sized patterns. The dress was suppose to be cut using the size seven measurements. But I goofed and managed to cut one of the skirt pieces in a size six.

Luckily it was the length, sew I can fix it by doing a narrow hem instead of the 1 1/2" hem recommended on the pattern piece. Oops. Cut! And Take Three!

This is about the point where I decided that there is really nothing wrong with a little procrastination on this project. It must be a sign that I need to get out and enjoy the long weekend.

Sew, that's is what I did. Since there was nothing playing in the movie theatres that I cared to see, it was off to see what nature had to offer.

I walked away from the sewing machine and went to hang out with friends. We had a lovely walk through the park and grabbed a bite to eat. It was the perfect afternoon. Just what I needed to recharge my batteries.

With scenery like this, I can tackle Simplicity 5540 later.

Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

  1. As I take a break from sewing now and read your post I did have a giggle. Looking forward to see this garment completed, with no more mishaps...

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...