Sunday, 17 April 2016

Stretch Lace Knit Top


A pullover top has been on my want-to-make list ever since I got my hot little hands on this out-of-print pattern, McCall's 7946. This project jumped queue when I finished the latest version of the Lynn Mizono dress and decided that it needs something underneath if I'm going to be comfortable when I wear it out in public.  


I was scared to cut the pattern though, just in case it needed some tweaking at some point. So I traced out the multi-sized pattern to fit my latest curves. Once I accounted for more ease in the mid-section, I was ready to get to work.  I love the fit of this top, there was enough ease around the arms and the bust area, and then I graded up a couple of sizes towards the hemline. Of course, I did my usual shortening of the sleeves and hemline. I also changed the order of construction laid out in the instructions. Instead of a set-in sleeve, I sewed the shoulder seams, then the sleeve and finally the sleeve and sides at the same time.  

My fabric was a recent find at Fabricland and I was thrilled with my purchase until I spotted this flaw. It is difficult to notice, but it is a repair to a tear/hole in the lower part of the front.  Can you spot it?  


My disappointment didn't last too long because a) it was on sale and b) no one besides us will end up seeing it. This top is just to wear underneath something else. 


I did have enough left over fabric to cut another front but decided against it in the end. It really wasn't a big deal and I just wanted to get to work on the top. Besides with the left over fabric, I think I might be able to make a pair of knickers.   

The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble in the washing machine followed by another tumble through the dryer. It handled the pre-treatment process like a champ and I don't foresee any issues with laundering it in the future.   


The Stats:  

Fabric:     1.5 metres of stretch lace knit

Pattern:    OOP McCall's 7946

Paper:      1/2 sheet of Burda tracing paper

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Sewing machine, walking foot, serger, thread, scissors, pins, pencil, tailor's chalk, coffee times two and about three hours of my time.  

Happy Sewing!  



2 comments:

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...