Sunday 16 June 2024

Cotton Caftan or Summer-time Pajamas: McCall's 8516

The latest project off the sewing machine is McCall's 8516, a cotton caftan.  


I'm not sure how I feel about it or how much I'll wear it.  It's huge.  Even the opening for the arms is deep.  I will certainly have to wear a camisole underneath if I were going out in public.  This is more of a beachwear cover-up rather than a tunic / dress garment.    


This was sewn in a size medium.  There weren't any finished measurements on the pattern pieces.  


Yup, that's approximately sixty-two inches around the waistline.  Sure, I was looking for something loose-fitting that I could wear over the scoliosis brace but this still shows the top of the back of the brace sticking out from my actual back.  Sigh.  If I were a summer-time outdoors / beach person I might get more use from this garment.  But I'm not.  I'm counting down the days until the first frost and snowfall.  Which makes one wonder why would I even sew a caftan?  Hmmm, perhaps this could be my summer-time pajamas.   

It was an easy sewing project.  I didn't make too many changes to the pattern, only shortening the length (view B) six inches.  And I did sew the buttonholes earlier in the process.  


It's a great pattern for colour-blocking or working with different prints.  You can have a lot of fun with fabric choices.  The fabric used here was a light-weight embroidered cotton found in the stash.  It was pre-washed and pressed before hitting the cutting table.  
  


Project details

Seams:  2.8 straight stitch

Seam finish:  Serged

Fabric:  3.7 metres 

Interfacing:  2.3 metres

Buttons:  5--1/2 inch 

Sewing label:  1--KATM label


Pattern
McCall's 8516, circa 2024

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, measuring tape, pins, pin cushion, fabric scissors, paper scissors, thread clippers, tailor's chalk, tailor's wax, hand sewing needle, thimble, Janome sewing machine, walking foot, button hole foot, screwdriver, measuring gauge, seam rippers, Janome serger, threads, cutting board, hammer, buttonhole cutter, iron, ironing board and tea.  

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cotton Sateen Skirt: The Assembly Line S:403 / A-line Midi Skirt

This skirt was made to go with the kAtheRine Tilton top I finished yesterday.  It's the A-line midi skirt from The Assembly Line.   Th...