Saturday 16 January 2016

More Horizontal Stripes

Stash-busting 2016:  Pull-on Skirt


Well, after making this jumper I was left with 0.75 metres of this ponte knit. And not wanting to waste it or put this back in the stash, I thought this might make a easy to wear and comfortable skirt for work. So I got to work.  


There are no side seams or any shaping cut into the fabric with scissors. I just stitched a 5/8" seam allowance at the selvage of the fabric, sewed a casing for an elastic to be lead through with a safety pin, and sewed the ends of the elastic together.

The hem was serged and left as is not because I was being lazy rather, I didn't want it any shorter than it is already. I really like this medium weight ponte knit fabric more than I like this make. This one is more of a hang out around the house than seen out in public project.  

The Stats:  

Fabric:    0.75 metres $4.58 ($18.00 - 70% off + taxes)

Elastic:   0.80 metre $0.32 ($0.35 / metre + taxes)

Thread:  Averaged out $2.00 for serger and sewing machine thread.   

Happy Sewing!  



   

6 comments:

  1. It's wonderful! I love this type of sewing as I hate tossing scraps and remnants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary. I feel really guilty when I toss scraps and remnants but I discovered if I bring them to the school where I work the students are so happy to take it off my hands and are very creative with the things they make. There are some very stylish pets walking around this city.

      Delete
  2. It's wonderful! I love this type of sewing as I hate tossing scraps and remnants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it! So many ways to match this with bright colors-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne. I didn't think about matching it with bright colours. It has been so cold here lately (-30 temperatures with a windchill making it feel like the -40s) that my brain is frozen and I have gotten past matching it with my grey wool sweater.

      Delete
    2. And pretending that my long-johns are leggings. It seems to work with this skirt.

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...