Monday 30 September 2019

September in Review...

Well, National Sewing Month is coming to a close. I would say that it is the first year that I wasn't all that into celebrating this event. Yup, my sewing mojo took a hit this month. There was sewing just not a whole lot of excitement.  


Fabricland acknowledged this American celebration of sewing with a big portable sign at the side of the road advertising a store-wide sale in it's honour. It was a disappointment that once in the store I learnt that the sale didn't apply to certain items. Why was I surprised?

I guess sewing wise, this month was filled with a few disappointments. I made a pullover top with Vogue 1642, a pattern that I couldn't wait to get to work on and then it just didn't work on me. That neckline is huge and it feels like half my head disappears under it. As if I have no neck. It's funny actually but I don't think I'll be wearing this one.  The wool pants that I made from the same pattern just don't sit right even though the other two I made previously worked. I don't know what I did wrong. Something. Then there is Vogue 8939, a pattern that I've sewn so many times before. Where Vogue 1644 neckline was too big and loose, Vogue 8939 turtleneck was tight. Also quite funny when I think about it. At least its a good way to help flatten my hair as I struggle to get it over my head. And then there was the feather trim that I added to Simplicity 8529. I adore this update but whenever I try to wear it with a pair of pants I quickly take it off disappointed with the weight gain that seems to be highlighted at the level of where the feather sit. Maybe that's what got me on this sewing funk. I need to lose weight. Seriously. I need to lose weight. That's why I haven't started the jeans now that I have Vogue 1642 in my sewing room.  

There were some successful sewing projects this month, a men's shirt made with Vogue 8889 and a son's shirt in matching fabric made with vintage Simplicity 4166. They turned out great but I will admit that I was on a deadline to complete these and I pushed through when I wasn't feeling my greatest. It kind of takes the fun out of sewing when you're not feeling up to it. 

Plans for next month, maybe nothing sewing wise. I have no more sewing for others projects to do. But yesterday at church there was a call for "requested items for newcomer families," asking for clothes for baby boys newborn to 2 years.

Previous made OOP McCall's 7367

I do have a go-to newborn onesie pattern that has been a winner over these years but I'm not sure if my wrist can't handle sewing those arm and ankle bands. That part of the project always presents a bit of a struggle. Instead, if I do decide to go ahead and sew, I might break out OOP McCall's 8548. This pattern has size 2 pieces.


Or I might take a much needed break from the sewing machine and take care of me. No more sewing for moi until I drop ten pounds. We'll see how that goes. I'm going to start by making sure I get 10,000 steps in each day. I can't accomplish that sitting at the sewing machine.   

Happy Sewing!


1 comment:

  1. Don't be too hard on yourself. You make very nice things. I always enjoy reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...