Sunday 11 August 2019

Practical Sewing: Tea Towels, Produce Bags and Mending

Today's sewing time was dedicated to practical sewing and mending. I finally made time to mend a couple pair of socks and a pair of tights that have been waiting for some care for months now.   


There are two new tea towels after I cut and serged the edges of the linen scraps from yesterday's project.  


Next up, I cut a variety of rectangular shapes from sheer curtain fabric.  I then pinned and serged the sides, leaving an opening.


And these are my new re-useable produce bags to take to the grocery store and farmer's market. I was disappointed when I spotted plastic bags for customers to use at the local farmer's market. I'm not a perfect eco-friendly person, but I'm trying to change my behaviour and become a better steward of the earth.  


From one metre of fabric I managed to sew nine produce bags. Today's projects might not be my fanciest sewing, but I can say that it did feel rewarding once these were completed.  

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. Practical, economical, and good for the planet... well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought some fabric to make reusable produce bags as well. That is on the agenda after a bit of Christmas sewing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...