Tuesday 23 April 2019

What has Changed?

It has been six years since the collapse at Rana Plaza that took the lives of over a thousand people and placed a spotlight on the working conditions of people who create fashion fashions.  


I will be honest, what happened six years ago had and continues to have an impact on the way I lived my life and my own consumerism following the tragedy at Rana Plaza.  I didn't buy into the pleas not to boycott the manufacturers that exploited workers overseas.  Instead, it made me take a hard long look at some items that were sitting in my closet and my own consumerism.  

Years ago, I purchased a down filled jacket from Joe Fresh when the label first appeared in my local grocery store.  Yup, a grocery store.  I was blown away with ignorance at the low price tag not even considering who was actually paying for it while the label made a profit.  

The Joe Fresh brand is going strong despite attempts to sue the brand and they're still manufacturing their line overseas.  However, I have to say that despite their perky and upbeat advertising campaigns, I'm no longer interested in what they are selling. My shopping habits have changed not only in ready-to-wear but in the fabrics I choose to sew.  

I am no longer seduced by the latest man-made fabrics to hit the market.  I question the meaning of the new buzz words filling the fashion landscapes.  Sustainability and organic without transparency seems to be another marketing trap to draw you into to purchasing the latest offerings.  



I read more. I read about subjects that are not so glamorous because I no longer want to be that ignorant shopper.  I am slowly changing and in doing so I hope to change my part of the world.  That is what Fashion Revolution means to me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...