Tuesday 30 April 2019

April in Review...

Sewing

This month was pretty quiet in the sewing room.  Life happens.  


I did manage to get some sewing done.  There was some sewing of new microwave cozies which surprised me since Christmas is typically when I sell the cozies.  And an order for a cork handbag.  Then there was some rescue sewing to change a dress into a wrap skirt. I made another pullover top only because I had a remnant large enough to use up the last of the beautifully cozy Katia fabric that was just sitting there.    

Sometimes you never know what projects will pass through the workspace.  

Fashion Revolution

Last week was Fashion Revolution week and ever since the tragedy at Rana Plaza I have a sense that there hasn't been a great improvement of transparency in the fashion industry.  Sure stylists appear on talk shows equipped with latest buzz words to make consumers feel good about buying more ready-to-wear fashions while documentary film-makers highlight what actually goes behind the all the marketing.  I just hoped that six years later we would have seen more significant changes in the industry.  

I have come to realize that change has to come from within first and that a global attitude change is a slow process.  

Future Projects


Right now, next month looks like it will be all about shirt making.  I could use a white shirt and then there are some shirts I would like to make as gifts.  I'm also waiting for a special fabric purchase from Mood Fabrics to arrive.  It is for another gift sewing project.  I'm  just in the process of gathering up all the supplies needed.  

Oh, and Vogue patterns just released their summer line.  Thankfully, there's no new patterns on the wish list to distract me from my May sewing plans.  

Me-Made-May '19 is just around the corner.  I'm joining in.  Anyone else?  I like the idea of the flatlay photos that are popping up on #sewover50.  There are two things I'm interested in discovering, what percentage of my wardrobe is actually me-made and how long my me-made items have been in my closet. There was a post that popped up during Fashion Revolution that really struck me as true, "the only sustainable clothes are those in your closet."  So true.  Here's my pledge:  
I, Graca from Sew Essentially Sew, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May 2019. I endeavour to wear my me-made wardrobe, stop buying fabric, sew from my stash and be mindful that sustainable fashion is enjoying what is in my closet.  Oh, one more thing: embrace the art of mending the previously loved items that are waiting to be put back into wardrobe rotation during May 2019.  
Well, that's April in review and a sneak peak at what May might look like.  I'm off to put some work into a white shirt that I have cut out and ready to sew.  

Happy Sewing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...