Friday 28 December 2018

Velvet Loungewear: Vogue 9329

I didn't know what to expect from Vogue 9329.  When this pattern was first released I thought it was cute but not my style with the above knee length shown on the pattern envelope. It wasn't until I saw this version that I gave it a second thought. Melanie is five-two and the length looks lovely on her. I'm a bit shorter than Melanie so the hope is that the length would be more to my comfort level.


It didn't work out as I planned. I planned on making a dress but I do believe I ended up with some sleep / loungewear instead. It wasn't the length that was the issue. The back hemline seems to be raised compared to the front. This was a design element in another Marcy Tilton design that I made and to be completely honest, I don't care for the effect.  And the shoulder seam is moved towards the back and actually doesn't feel all that comfortable and then there is the fit. It's described as "close-fitting through the bust" yet I beg to differ.  I cut a size medium (12-14) and it fits as a loose-fitting pullover dress that feels more like loungewear. Pair with leggings and wool socks and I can hang out in this with a good book and cup of tea.  

The pattern is rated as easy.  However, choosing stretch velvet as my fabric choice added a degree or more to the challenge. I wasn't really looking for a challenge nor am I all smitten with the 2018 velvet trend. This piece of fabric was left over from the 1990s and just waiting to be cleared out of the stash. 

Sewing with Stretch Velvet

Stretch velvet as I mentioned posed some challenges.  The first thing to consider is that it is a fabric with a nap and pile. Laying out the pattern pieces in the same direction that you want the nap to fall is key.  Weights instead of pins worked out best with this fabric. 

When it came to sewing, I used diagonal basting before heading to the sewing machine.  All the seams were sewn with the lightening bolt stitch and finished with the serger.  Using fusible interfacing posed another challenge as I couldn't press this fabric and opted to steam the interfacing.

The Stats


Fabric:  2.2 metres

Interfacing:  0.5 metres

Knit-N-Stable tape:  3 metres

Pattern:  Vogue 9329

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Cutting table, ironing board, iron, scissors, clappers  and other assorted items used as weights, tailor's pencil, serger needle, tweezers, hand needle, threads, and a cup of tea.  

Happy Sewing!     

1 comment:

Wool Winter Coat: OOP Vogue 8934

I know it's officially spring and we didn't even feel like we experienced a winter here this year.  And yet I've been busy sewin...