Sunday 14 October 2018

New Skirt: OOP Vogue 9701

I've been longing for a wrap skirt but it really isn't all that practical in the windy city with winter fast approaching.  Out-of-print (OOP) Vogue Elements 9701 turned out to be the perfect alternative, "a semi-fitted, straight, mock wrap skirt."  And it was rated "very easy."   


What more could I ask for?  Pockets perhaps?  


Would you believe it has that too?  This pattern is perfect.


The plan is to make it in a wool suiting but I thought to make one in a fabric I wouldn't mind losing if the fit wasn't just right.  I used a medium weight denim that was in the stash likely from the same decade this pattern originates.  I'm so glad it fits because in the denim this turns out to be a skirt that will hold up over the winter. And it's a dark denim so I'm hoping that I might also get away with wearing this for work.  Maybe with a white shirt but I digress... 

I shortened the above-ankle length (view B) three inches.  Other than that I cut my size.  I could have used the adjustments for the petite markings closer to the waistline.  Even though I like a high waisted skirt, I could have benefited from this adjustment instead of taking off the length from the hemline.  Something to consider for next time.  


The Stats

Fabric:  2 metres of 100% cotton denim

Zipper:  9" invisible zipper

Pattern:  OOP Vogue 9701 (found on Etsy)

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Iron, ironing board, cutting table, pins, pin cushion, sewing machine, invisible zipper foot, zipper foot, serger, threads for the serger, sewing machine and hand-stitching, new serger needles, self-threading hand needle, tailor's chalk, ruler, measuring tape, basting tape, scissors, thread clippers, and a cup of tea.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. Very nice pattern. Wonder if they will ever offer it again.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was able to find the pattern on Ebay. I'm looking forward to making it. It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...