Monday 20 August 2018

Simplicity 8687: Pinstriped Dress

Doctor T questioned if Simplicity 8687 was on one hand modern and scandalous. I didn't get that vibe at all when I fell all smitten over this pattern. To me I felt that it had a retro 1920s sort of vibe yet I agree wholeheartedly with Dr. T observation that "styling can change this look." That's one of the things I enjoy about sewing. One pattern, countless takes on it.



So, here's my take on this simple shirtdress with a front overlay.  


I don't know what happen here in the photo, but the fabric is actually a pin-stripped stretch poplin. Maybe the other photos will display this better? Let me first say that Simplicity did a great job at writing the instructions geared to a beginner. And the pattern is well drafted. I would highly recommend this for a beginner who isn't afraid of a little scandal and buttonholes.  


Underneath that mock wrap dress front is a full blown shirtdress, it's the perfect merger of two classic dress styles.  


And it gets better, this pattern has side pockets.  I love a dress with pockets.  I did make some changes though. I started with view A and added two inches to the length.  I thought about swapping the sleeve pattern and placket from Vogue 1503 but decided to just go with a straight sleeve, no cuff, or other details. I will mention that this Simplicity pattern does offer several sleeve variations. Instead, I went with sleeve A, lengthened it by one inch for the hem and omitted the sleeve band.  The dress is cut as a size 12 with the exception of the sides where I went up to a size 14.  The other changes were to the construction method.  Even though I was impressed with the thoroughness of the instructions, I did stray into my own way.  I flat fitted the sleeve instead of doing a fitted sleeve.  


And I chose another way of sewing the back yoke lining.  Instead of sewing the inner yoke to the front facings, I sewed the two yokes to the back and then hand stitched at the shoulder seams.  And almost as thrilling as a dress with pockets, this project came together quick quickly.  Minus cutting, I was able to sewing this in a day.  


The Stats

Fabric:  4 metres of stretch poplin

Interfacing:  1.2 metres of fusible interfacing

Buttons:  9 - 1/2" shirt buttons

Additional Tools and Supplies:  Pins, scissors, tailor's chalk, cutting table, ruler, measuring tape, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, serger, thread, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, and hand sewing needle.

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. Stripes always go wonky on screen for me.

    I love your new dress!!!! So perfect to transition into fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice dress. I love the drape in front.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...