So, here's my take on this simple shirtdress with a front overlay.
I don't know what happen here in the photo, but the fabric is actually a pin-stripped stretch poplin. Maybe the other photos will display this better? Let me first say that Simplicity did a great job at writing the instructions geared to a beginner. And the pattern is well drafted. I would highly recommend this for a beginner who isn't afraid of a little scandal and buttonholes.
Underneath that mock wrap dress front is a full blown shirtdress, it's the perfect merger of two classic dress styles.
And it gets better, this pattern has side pockets. I love a dress with pockets. I did make some changes though. I started with view A and added two inches to the length. I thought about swapping the sleeve pattern and placket from Vogue 1503 but decided to just go with a straight sleeve, no cuff, or other details. I will mention that this Simplicity pattern does offer several sleeve variations. Instead, I went with sleeve A, lengthened it by one inch for the hem and omitted the sleeve band. The dress is cut as a size 12 with the exception of the sides where I went up to a size 14. The other changes were to the construction method. Even though I was impressed with the thoroughness of the instructions, I did stray into my own way. I flat fitted the sleeve instead of doing a fitted sleeve.
And I chose another way of sewing the back yoke lining. Instead of sewing the inner yoke to the front facings, I sewed the two yokes to the back and then hand stitched at the shoulder seams. And almost as thrilling as a dress with pockets, this project came together quick quickly. Minus cutting, I was able to sewing this in a day.
Fabric: 4 metres of stretch poplin
Interfacing: 1.2 metres of fusible interfacing
Buttons: 9 - 1/2" shirt buttons
Additional Tools and Supplies: Pins, scissors, tailor's chalk, cutting table, ruler, measuring tape, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, serger, thread, seam ripper, buttonhole cutter, and hand sewing needle.