Monday 21 May 2018

Top Ten Reasons for Sewing Your Own Panties

Once you find a panties pattern that you like, I don't believe that you'll ever to back to shopping for undies. I have two patterns that have become my go-to panties patterns. Madalynne's Simplicity 8229 and Simplicity 8228 are my favourite panties patterns.  And Gertie's Butterick 6031 is another pattern that I would recommend trying out. But if you don't have a favourite pattern there are a lot of free patterns found online and tutorials for creating your own pattern from a favourite pair.  


1.  You're in control of the fit. In my humble opinion, there is nothing worse than ill-fitting undies. But once you have the sizing just right, you'll never have to worry about wearing ill-fitting undies ever again!     

2.  You get to pick the fabric. There are some fun lace fabrics out there that would make some cute undies if lace is your thing.  And then there are some organic cottons that are quite lovely as well. Or how about giving a new life to an old t-shirt and have some fun with pattern placement.  

3.  It's easy.  Seriously, easy.   

4.  Sewing is relaxing.  

5.  Sewing is fun.  

6.  Making panties for your family will make them happy.  

7.  You're in charge of quality control. I don't know if you've noticed but they don't make things with the higher quality of days gone by.  But when you sew, you're in charge of the quality control.  

8.  And think of all those beautiful and fun elastics that you can choose!  

9.  Prefer the leg elastic on the outside, no problem when you're sewing your own panties.  You have complete creative control.  

10.  It's more economical to make your own undies.  It doesn't take a lot of fabric and it's the perfect way to use up small scraps that you might have laying around after another project.  

Happy Sewing!  

7 comments:

  1. Love all your reasons for sewing panties - but I think the A-1 reason is comfort. Question - where do you source the elastic? Seems as though there's all sorts of stuff out there for bra-making, but somehow elastic for panties is pretty scarce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I have used Dritz lingerie elastic but I'm sure there are many others.

      Delete
    2. Irene, I agree. I've found picot elastic for panties to be hard to find until one local fabric store started carrying large rolls. Needless to say, I supported the local business. But before that I was researching online sources. Etsy https://www.etsy.com/market/picot_edge_elastic has a great selection from a variety of sellers that might be an option if you can't find some locally.

      Delete
  2. Funny you posted this today. I got a pattern for panties and picked up some cotton knit and was going to give this a try. You have just given me a kick start to get at least one pair completed.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet, what pattern are you using Jackie? Love to hear how they turn out!

      Delete
  3. I have done tis but I still need to fine tune my skills on elastics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Mary. It took me a bit of practice to get the right amount of tug when sewing the elastic around the legs and waistband. I found that marking the half way point on my leg elastic and roughly centering that at the centre of the crotch lining and pin. Then I would pin the seamed edged of my elastic with the side seam of the panties and pin. This helped with determining the amount of stretch I needed to give the elastic while I stitched it in place. For the waistband I marked the elastic in quarters and then pinned those points to the side seam and center front and back giving me an idea of how much stretch I needed to give the waistband elastic. But it is a bit of trial and error as I found that the elastic guide with the pattern was a bit generous for the waistline and shortened it as well. Good luck!

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...