Wednesday 17 January 2018

Simplicity 8529: Wool Sweater

Okay, before you faint. Yes, I made a pink sweater.  


I'm not willing to say that it's my favourite colour but I will admit that I actually like this shade of pink. Sometimes I surprise myself. The fabric actually made it into my stash a few years ago because it is the most gorgeous wool knit that ended up at Northwest from an upscale dress shop that had closed down. They were selling used bolts for $3.99 / metre for cuts or $0.99 / metre if you purchased what was on the bolt. You just don't see bargains or this quality of fabric everyday. So, I came home with 4.2 metres of pink knit fabric. 


It sat in my stash all this time because I was scared to cut into this beautiful fabric. I had to find the perfect pattern first. And that is where Simplicity 8529 comes into the picture.   


I've made this sweater pattern before and I really like the fit. With all the adjustments made to the pattern, I was ready to cut into this wool knit. The sleeve and hem length were shortened. And it was easy peasy from there. This is a great pattern for beginners or anyone looking for an easy-to-wear (and sew) sweater pattern.  


The Stats:

Fabric:  1.4 metres of 130 cm wide wool ($0.99 + taxes = $1.57)

PatternSimplicity 8529 (previously used)

Thread:  4 spools used on the serger and 1 spool used on the sewing machine (average out $3.00 for this project)

Sewing machine needle:  1 - ballpoint needle ($2.75 / package of 5 + taxes = $0.62)

Time investment:  5 hours total


Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, scissors, thread clippers, measuring tape, measuring gauge, iron, ironing board, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, brush, and mini vacuum.  

Happy Sewing!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...