Monday 18 December 2017

The 2017 What Was I Thinking? List

Oh my!  Twenty-seventeen was a full of what-was-I-thinking? sewing moments.  


1.  I made this kitschy dress, Vogue 9237, in the summer and I will admit that I did get some wear out of it before it ended up in the donate pile. I didn't like the fit and I felt like a was wearing an ugly frumpy dress. Too bad that I used that cotton fabric with this project. The fabric might have been better suited for a skirt but I digress. It's one of those times that I wished I made a toile.  


2.  This top, McCall's 7541, was another epic fail in the fit department. I was all smitten over the idea of a cape top but in reality it wasn't the most practical piece of clothing. And the neckline was too wide and low cut. 


3.  This fit on this tee-shirt was great, it was the fabric that has me thinking what the heck I was thinking! Polyester tee-shirt are just not my idea of comfort.  


4.  Droopy shoulder seam. Need I say more? Out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 9028.  


5.  I love the idea of a maxi-length turtle-neck sweater dress. It's just too bad I made it in a polyester knit that is a shock magnet.  


 6.  I always pre-shrink my fabric but this just kept getting tighter and tighter every time it came out of the wash. It made for lovely dusting rags.  


7.  Seriously, how did all this polyester make it into my fabric stash? Too warm for a tee-shirt.  


8.  Too tight.  


9.  This rayon fabric makes this tee-shirt too clingy to be considered comfortable. I don't typically pick rayon because of it's tendency to shrink but I was taken by the graffiti print.  


10.  The ugliest thing I have ever sewn. New Look 6321 was supposed to be a nightshirt but ended up as rags. This is what happens when you try to operate sewing equipment when feeling under the weather.   


11.  This jacket, Kwik Sew  4197, made me give up man-made fibres. I would recommend wearing safety goggles and a face mask when sewing this fabric.  


12.  I should have used a fabric with more drape. A combination of Vogue 9268 and Vogue 9057.  


13.  I made this pattern, OOP McCall's 6437, back-in-the-day when I was much thinner. I thought I would be more thrilled to finally sew up another version but I not loving it because I find the neckline too revealing. When did I get to be this old?  

Well, there it is, more misses that hits. It was that kind of year.  

Happy Sewing!  And may all your sewing be hits.  

2 comments:

  1. ahhhhh. Isn't it something to go back and review the year? I buy some poly-blend stuff but then as soon as I sew something that's 100% natural fibers I get all goo-goo eyed and want ALL THE SILKS! COTTONS! WOOLS!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Review and reflection leads to more success in the future. I have had this kind of sewing year also :-) Merry Christmas from AZ

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...