Thursday 2 November 2017

Knit Sweater: Simplicity 8529

Simplicity 8529 is the cat's meow. I'm so thrilled with how this turned out and that I have a wool sweater to wear.  


Seriously, I'm going to get good use out of this one. And the best part is that I was able to make this out of a beautiful 100% wool knit that I had in my stash. I was just waiting for the perfect pattern to come along and this is the one.  


Sorry, black doesn't photograph well. I really like the funnel neck line (view A) and the side slits. The back is a little longer than the front and it actually did surprise me that I like how it looks. Maybe because of the loose fit? Some how it just works.  


Last night I worked on the toile for this pattern (the red version). I copied a size medium and cut it out just as it came in the pattern. I shortened the hem an inch and finished it up and when it came to cutting out the black wool version, I also shortened the length on the sleeves.  


Super easy make and super comfortable to wear. So the fabrics... 

The black wool fabric was a find at Northwest Fabric a couple of years ago when they received fabrics from an out-of-business upscale dress shop. All of the fabrics were marked down to $3.99 / metre and if you bought the rest of the bolt, it would only cost 99¢ / metre. So I bought the rest of the bolt which only worked out to 1.7 metres and it had some damage at the end.  


I took my time inspecting and marking all the holes in the fabric and thankfully I was able to cut out all of the pieces that I needed. Can I just say that this wool knit feels luxurious compared to the polyester knit that I used for the toile. The toile fabric was another bargain find when Fanny Fabrics closed down many years ago. It feels great to finally put good use to these knits. The sweaters were sewn with the knit (lightning bolt) stitch and the edges were finished on the serger.  


The Stats:  

Fabrics:  2.8 metres

Pattern:  Simplicity 8529

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Burda tracing paper, highlighter, pins, scissors, thread clippers, measuring tape, measuring gauge, sewing machine, walking foot, serger, tweezers, iron and ironing board, and tea.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...