Tuesday 24 October 2017

Rachel Comey Top: Vogue 1503

Vogue 1503 has been in my pattern stash ever since it was released last year. I've been meaning to make it right away but then I waited until April to cut it out.
I hand stitched the non-fusible interfacing on the pattern pieces that call for interfacing but then it became an UFO for six months while my sewing mojo just couldn't get into it. I couldn't at the time handle sitting and sitting through the french seams turned me off of this project for some time. And then other projects pushed their way ahead of this one. Add to that my sewing mojo took a hit.

After the recent flurry of sewing projects, I was ready to tackle this project at a much appreciated slow pace. I enjoyed the process, the clean finish of those french seams, and those pockets are delightful. So, finally after six months and eleven days of sewing, it's done!


This pattern, Vogue 1503, is absolutely beautiful. Rachel Comey designs some of the best patterns that incorporates functionable and stylish pockets. I'm thinking back to that much-loved skirt pattern with pockets, out-of-print (OOP) Vogue 1247. This one is another. There are three bodice front pockets. Love it! These are not dainty pockets that are pretty to look at and that's it, they're pretty and functionable pockets.


I found this lightweight cream coloured 100% wool at the clearance section at Fabricland that I thought would be a perfect fit with this pattern. I'm on a natural fibre kick lately so this works well with that focus. The non-fusible interfacing is also a natural fibre. The fabric was pretreated with a tumble through the washing machine and dryer followed by a pressing prior to cutting. The fabric handled all of these pre-treatment processes without any issues.  


The button front top pattern is perfect. Okay, almost perfect for my petite frame. I did have to shorten the sleeve and hem length along with straightening the hemline. The only other change that I made was to the button placement on the front band. But in my eyes it's perfect.


The Stats:  

Fabric:  2.2 metres 100% lightweight wool

Interfacing:  1.3 metres non-fusible interfacing

Buttons:  Twelve - 1/2" buttons (I put an extra one in the front)

Pattern:  Vogue 1503

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Cutting table, pins, pin cushions, scissors, thread clippers, rulers, measuring tape, sewing machine, serger, buttonhole foot, tailor's ham, sleeve ham, iron, ironing board, thread, hand needle, tailor's wax, tailor's chalk, tailor's mitt, good tunes, lots of breaks for stretching and doing physio exercises.

Happy Sewing!


8 comments:

  1. You did a very nice job with that top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely and unique top! I love light weight wools for tops, but they are near impossible to find. Lucky you to find some, and priced for clearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Audrey! Yes, this fabric makes this top, it was wonderful to work with and I was really lucky to find it. It is a fabric that I will would consider if I come across it again.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...