Saturday 1 April 2017

I Made Another Coat! (Vogue 9219)

I completed an unselfish sewing project. Okay, maybe there was some selfish sewing involved. I really wanted to make another coat but I really don't need a third coat. So this one is to be gifted.


Vogue  9219 is a coat for one of my former colleague's daughter. I know, it's spring but I made it a size bigger so that [fingers crossed] it will fit her daughter next winter. 

I made this toasty warm with a fleece underlining attached to the kasha (cotton back) coat lining both were found at Fabricland during one of the member's sales. The fashion fabric is a 70% wool / 30% polyester blend that I picked up at Northwest Fabrics last year. The underlining fabric is left-over lightweight fleece that I used in this coat. The kasha lining was a recent purchase specifically for this project because the silver colour matches the silver in the buttons. And I couldn't resist the buttons. 


All of the fabrics were pre-treated. The wool was thrown in the dryer with a few damp towels and then steam with the iron afterwards. The lining and fleece went through the pretreatment process in the washing machine and then the dryer. All the fabrics handled the pretreatment process well.

This pattern is the cat's meow!  The pattern is perfectly drafted and the instructions are well written but I will admit that I didn't follow the order that's laid out. Instead of sewing set-in sleeves, I sewed the sleeve cap before sewing the sides. I found that I didn't need to sew ease stitching on the sleeve cap and just eased with my fingers and pinned in place. It worked out perfectly fine.


I really wanted to sew buttons and buttonholes but I opted to follow the pattern instructions on this step since my automatic buttonholer doesn't like working on thick fabrics. So the buttons are purely decorative and the coat closes with snaps. It is probably an easier option for little ones.


One of my favourite parts is the label and the contrast on the under collar. Oh and did I mention how well this pattern is drafted? Love that there is a separate under collar that is cut in the lining fabric.


Well, there you have it, another coat, an itsy bitsy coat with the tiniest pockets ever. Sometimes you just want to sew something cute and this one fit the bill.    


The Stats:  

Fabric:  5.2 metres (2 metres wool coating, 1.6 lining, and 1.6 lightweight lining)

Interfacing:  1.8 metres fusible interfacing

Buttons:  5 - 3/4" buttons

Snaps:  5 metal snaps

Pattern:  Vogue 9219

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, threads (100% silk for hand stitching, 100% polyester for the serger and sewing machine, and button thread for the snaps and buttons), cutting table, pins, pin cushions, measuring tape, metal ruler, fabric shears / scissors, thread clippers, seam ripper, pro seam ripper, tailor's ham, sleeve ham tailor's mitt, clapper, steam iron, ironing board, tylenol, coccyx cushion, lots of breaks, timer, chai latte and stretching breaks.

Happy Sewing!


2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful coat--and even more beautiful that it's being gifted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. It's a beautiful pattern.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...