Tuesday 18 April 2017

I Didn't Give Up...


In my mind there is a difference. If I gave up, Vogue 9814 would be put aside instead in the trash. That skirt pattern that I've been wanting to make since I got my hands on it has been too much for my non-existent sewing mojo. 


After my second mistake sewing this pattern up I realized that I'm just not feeling the love for this fabric and I don't think its worth the work to spend some time taking apart this seam.  


Yup, I sewed the front sides together instead of sewing the front centre seam. It wasn't my first mistake on this project. I also sewed the right side of the pocket facing to the wrong side of the pocket. And instead of seam ripping it and starting over, I trashed the pockets as well and decided to make it without. Yeah, I love pockets. That had to be a sign that this project was doomed.  

There's a part of me that felt bad about trashing this project and then I remembered that a former colleague asked for scraps of fabric and I did rescue it in hopes that it will find a new life. 

I sure miss my sewing mojo.  


The Stats:  

Fabric:  2.2 metres

Twill Tape:  1.2 metres

Pattern:  Vogue 9814

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, threads, pins, pin cushion, cutting table, scissors, thread clippers, iron, ironing board, tailor's chalk, and an admission of defeat.  

Happy Sewing!  



3 comments:

  1. This is encouraging to me. I'm ready to toss a project but then I realized I'll never take it up again to finish--- the instructions were impossible to figure out. Two days on one pocket. Sheesh. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the US a few years ago, an advertisement (maybe for ice cream?)featured the slogan "you can't rush richness". Be kind to your self while you wait for yours to return. You can't rush it or it will continue to run. I find if I do prep work- cleaning, tracing, winding bobbins- while I wait I feel better because I am making some small progress. I am also now trying to practice instructions I don't understand (hello welt pockets and front plackets!) so I may more prepared for the day my seeking comes home.May the time pass quickly for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about vacationing or lethargic sewing mojos!

    The cure for me is to start on something I REALLY like that isn't too easy with fabric that isn't difficult to work with. A pattern that's not easy forces me to focus, and if I really like the style, color and fabric, I'll want it in my wardrobe right away. That pulls me in and keeps me going.

    Not everyone is the same, and I hope you find your mojo fix.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...