Sunday, 2 October 2016

Detour

Sometimes I come across a bolt of fabric that makes me stop in my tracks, gasp, and it throws me off all those fall sewing plans.


That is what happened when I saw this fabric and then it went on sale and then I just couldn't resist. Yellow is one of my favourite colours but I figured that I would get more wear of the other colour combination.


The fabric has Tilton design written all over it, don't you think? It was what I envisioned when I first laid eyes on it and that is what I went with, kAtheRine Tilton's, Butterick 5891. This is a tried and true pattern that I first made about three years ago and is a favourite in my wardrobe. The only changes that I made to the design were to the sleeve length and the back.


I eliminated the back centre seam and shortened the sleeve length by three inches. My favourite part of this top are the buttons. I used four vintage buttons that originated from the 1960's and an old winter coat that belonged to Mama R.  

The fabric was pre-treated with a tumble through the washing machine and the dryer, followed by a pressing. It handled all of that well but boy did it ever shrink! I'm really glad I pre-treated this fabric.  


The Stats:  

Fabric:    2.10 metres 100% silk

Interfacing:   0.60 metres fusible

Pattern:  Butterick 5891

Buttons: 4 - 3/4" Recycled

Additional Tools & Supplies:  Sewing machine, serger, button hole foot, scissors, clippers, pins, pin cushion, new needle for the sewing machine, needle for hand-stitching, threads for the sewing machine, serger and hand-stitching, seam ripper, coffee, no tunes this time but there was coffee.  

Happy Sewing!  

   

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! What a stunning jacket. Well done, and enjoy wearing it!

    ReplyDelete

The Eva Dress by Tessuti

This is my first project using Tessuti patterns and I'm even more impressed with how it turned out than I was when the patterns arrived...