Sunday 28 February 2016

The Making of a Cape: Chapter 5 -- Collar and Facing

Another favourite detail from the Kate Spade cape was the piping found between the lining and fashion fabric on the inside.


On the Kate Spade cape it was black piping but I went with a taupe, sort of on the gold side. Very out of character for me to choose this colour but I like it.


I took the time to sew the piping before basting and sewing the collar to the facing pieces.


Sewing through all these layers, the walking foot certainly proved to be a valued tool.


The collar on the vintage Simplicity 6680 pattern is one of my favourite details on my cape. I prefer this vintage collar design over the cutesy collar found on the Kate Spade cape. And I won't be copying the signature bow on the back either. I much prefer the clean tailored lines of the collar on the vintage pattern.  

Until the next chapter, happy sewing!   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...