I'm so thrilled with how this skirt turned out. You'll have to take my word that this really is a maxi-length skirt because I'm photographically challenged.
I've had this pattern in my stash for quite some time, circa 1998. Back-in-the-day when I was a much thinner and younger lass I made the top and skirt from this pattern. And I remember this was a TNT pattern until I gained some weight.
It is an out-of-print pattern, Butterick 5790. Although it is no longer in my current size, I was able to make the skirt pattern work for my current dimensions. Actually, it was easy peasy. I just took a recently re-fashioned skirt that I made from this dress and used that as a guideline for the hip measurement and then repositioned my pattern piece with a new centre fold line. Easy peasy.
And yes, I did say a pattern piece. That is all there was, one pattern piece for this "close-fitting tapered, ankle length skirt." It has an elastic waist and I was able to whip it up in no time.
I found this bonded knit fabric in a bin at Fabricland last year. I picked it up with no specific idea of what I wanted to do with it and it wasn't until the Pattern Review contest going on right now did I figure it out. All I knew at the time was that I'm quite smitten over this piece of fabric.
I have no idea of the fabric content. I did pre-treat the fabric on the regular setting on the washing machine and a delicate tumble in the dryer and it handled well.
And check out my matching at the side seams! Okay, the pattern between the stripes are not a perfect match but I'm pretty stoked with the stripes matching up. I don't think I would have been as successful without the walking foot. The skirt was stitched with the lightning bolt (knit) stitch and the seam were finished on the serger. I spent most of my time matching and cutting out the fabric than I did sewing it up!
Fabric: 2 metres $11.30 ($5.00 / metre + taxes)
Elastic: 0.8 metres $2.24 ($3.10 / metre - 20% off + taxes)
Pattern: Already priced out.