Thursday 20 August 2015

New Maxi-Skirt

Stash-busting 2015:  OOP Butterick 5790

I'm so thrilled with how this skirt turned out. You'll have to take my word that this really is a maxi-length skirt because I'm photographically challenged.


The pattern:

I've had this pattern in my stash for quite some time, circa 1998. Back-in-the-day when I was a much thinner and younger lass I made the top and skirt from this pattern. And I remember this was a TNT pattern until I gained some weight.  


It is an out-of-print pattern, Butterick 5790. Although it is no longer in my current size, I was able to make the skirt pattern work for my current dimensions. Actually, it was easy peasy. I just took a recently re-fashioned skirt that I made from this dress and used that as a guideline for the hip measurement and then repositioned my pattern piece with a new centre fold line. Easy peasy.  

And yes, I did say a pattern piece. That is all there was, one pattern piece for this "close-fitting tapered, ankle length skirt." It has an elastic waist and I was able to whip it up in no time.  

The Fabric:

I found this bonded knit fabric in a bin at Fabricland last year. I picked it up with no specific idea of what I wanted to do with it and it wasn't until the Pattern Review contest going on right now did I figure it out. All I knew at the time was that I'm quite smitten over this piece of fabric.  

I have no idea of the fabric content. I did pre-treat the fabric on the regular setting on the washing machine and a delicate tumble in the dryer and it handled well.    


And check out my matching at the side seams! Okay, the pattern between the stripes are not a perfect match but I'm pretty stoked with the stripes matching up. I don't think I would have been as successful without the walking foot. The skirt was stitched with the lightning bolt (knit) stitch and the seam were finished on the serger. I spent most of my time matching and cutting out the fabric than I did sewing it up!  

Fabric:     2 metres $11.30 ($5.00 / metre + taxes)

Elastic:    0.8 metres $2.24 ($3.10 / metre - 20% off + taxes)

Pattern:   Already priced out.  

Happy Sewing!  



2 comments:

  1. So nice! I love seeing your makes on you. Those knit ends at Fabricland are always tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have two more pieces (different patterns) from the same group of knit ends. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with them yet. This skirt is going to be part of my entry for the "Inspired by Books" contest, I'm working on the jacket to go with the skirt right now... well, I'm procrastinating right now but I'll go back to it soon.

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...