Sunday 16 August 2015

Book Review: Gods and Kings

Gods and Kings:  The Rise and Fall of Alexander McQueen and John Galliano by Dana Thomas
Published by:  Penguin Press (a member of Penguin Group)
ISBN:  978-1-59420-494-4
Retail:  $34.95 Canada / $29.95 US

American born journalist Dana Thomas' double biography is a book that I wanted to like. I should have liked it just based on the subjects, Alexander McQueen and John Galliano, two creative giants of the fashion world.  

The book cover held so much promise and just like cheap ready-to-wear clothing it failed to deliver. I felt like I was reading a cheap gossip rag. Yes, it appears as a serious piece of investigative journalism but it is just an over-priced tawdry tell-all. It wasn't at all what I was looking forward to reading. Thomas' writing fell flat and and I don't remember ever being so disappointed with a read. Or maybe I feel disappointed that I wasted a gift card on this book.  

I'm not saying don't read it. I'm just saying sign it out of your local library and re-direct the funds towards some gorgeous fabric instead.  

Happy Sewing & Reading!  



  

1 comment:

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...