Thursday 6 August 2015

A-line Top / Jacket

Stash-busting 2015:  OOP Vogue 1774

I've been searching for an A-line cut top / jacket. I thought I found one with Butterick 6056. But to be completely honest with all my tweaking and asserting that I was thrilled with the final result, it never was worn in the public sphere and eventually ended up in the donate pile. Enter Vogue 1774.  

The Pattern:


I found this uncut out-of-print pattern at a second hand store for a steal. Even though it is not the typical Vogue pattern size that I currently sew I thought I would be safe since the jacket is described as "very loose-fitting." There is a generous amount of ease in the bust and waist area so I fearlessly went ahead with the project. The top / jacket is a size 12 cut and fit is perfect in the sleeve, armhole, and shoulder area.     


I love that this pattern petite adjustable as well. I petite-adjusted the sleeve length and then shortened it even more. I guess Vogue believes that petite people have long arms. I chose the short jacket length with the long sleeves. But I did not petite-adjust the front and back pattern pieces. I'm happy with the length of the short jacket. If I were to adjust anything on this pattern it would be to re-shape the neckline in the front to achieve more coverage.  


The Fabric:  

I found this white and cream cotton batik fabric at Fabricland last year. It is actually left-over from this dress. The width of the fabric was only thirty-nine inches wide but luckily there was enough for the short jacket. The suggested fabric on the pattern envelope calls for light-weight crepe and silk-like tweed for the short jacket and chiffon and georgette for the longer jacket. Even though my fabric choice doesn't have the same drape as the suggested fabrics, I'm still pleased with how it turned out. I could see this working well in a stable knit as well.


The Stats:

Fabric:           2.5 metres cotton batik $31.08 ($22.00/metre - 50% off + taxes)

Bias Tape:     0.5 metres $0.23

Buttons:        6 - 13mm buttons $2.23

Pattern:         OOP Vogue 1774 $0.30

Happy Sewing!





2 comments:

  1. Beautiful jacket, I can see it being worn with a lot of different wardrobe pieces. Great job!
    See me @ www.sewplus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm wearing it today and am thinking I might need a couple more ;).

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...