Monday 10 November 2014

Over the Moon

Stash-busting 2014:  Turtleneck Sweater

Fabric:   1.6 metres

Thread:  finished off 1 small spool

Pattern:  Burda Style 6990

Oh my goodness! I am over-the-moon happy with this sweater. I made this as a test version and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. This will be a wearable muslin for sure.  


The fabric has been in my stash for several years as well as the burnt orange thread. The fabric was easy to sew, I used my regular presser foot and the knit stitch on my sewing machine. When it came to doing the hem on the sleeves I used a twin needle and continued using the knit stitch. Everything came together quickly and easily.

The pattern is a recent addition. I wasn't sure how it would turn out and to be completely honest there was some doubt as to the fit based on other Burda makes. I have to say my worries were unfounded. 


I used Burda 6990 cutting a size 14 waist up and graded up to a size 20 at the hipline. That is what I love about sewing, you can make something according to your own curves. Yup, I have curves around my hipline that make it hard to find a good fitting RTW turtleneck. I gave the top enough ease so that it wouldn't hug my mid-section and to me the fit is perfect! I love combination sized patterns that make grading up and down so much easier than those vintage single-sized patterns. The raglan sleeves were shortened significantly. I didn't shorten the length on the back and front pieces until I tried it on and then I decided to shorten it by three inches.  

Without a doubt, this pattern is a keeper and I can see more versions on the horizon. If you are looking for a turtleneck sweater or a great tee-shirt, look no further because I would highly recommend this pattern.  


Now I feel ready to cut out this fabric.

Happy Sewing!



1 comment:

  1. Don't you love when a pattern works out perfectly? Your turtleneck looks great, and I can't wait to see how the next one turns out if that's your fabric - very cool find!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...