Fabric: 1.6 metres
Thread: finished off 1 small spool
Pattern: Burda Style 6990
Oh my goodness! I am over-the-moon happy with this sweater. I made this as a test version and I couldn't be happier with how it turned out. This will be a wearable muslin for sure.
The fabric has been in my stash for several years as well as the burnt orange thread. The fabric was easy to sew, I used my regular presser foot and the knit stitch on my sewing machine. When it came to doing the hem on the sleeves I used a twin needle and continued using the knit stitch. Everything came together quickly and easily.
The pattern is a recent addition. I wasn't sure how it would turn out and to be completely honest there was some doubt as to the fit based on other Burda makes. I have to say my worries were unfounded.
I used Burda 6990 cutting a size 14 waist up and graded up to a size 20 at the hipline. That is what I love about sewing, you can make something according to your own curves. Yup, I have curves around my hipline that make it hard to find a good fitting RTW turtleneck. I gave the top enough ease so that it wouldn't hug my mid-section and to me the fit is perfect! I love combination sized patterns that make grading up and down so much easier than those vintage single-sized patterns. The raglan sleeves were shortened significantly. I didn't shorten the length on the back and front pieces until I tried it on and then I decided to shorten it by three inches.
Without a doubt, this pattern is a keeper and I can see more versions on the horizon. If you are looking for a turtleneck sweater or a great tee-shirt, look no further because I would highly recommend this pattern.
Now I feel ready to cut out this fabric.