Thursday 28 August 2014

The Urban Print Jacket

Stash busting 2014:  Vogue 1385

Fabric:   2.9 metres polyester and linen blend

Pattern:  Vogue 1385

I've wanted a jacket out of Sandra Betzina's top pattern, Vogue 1385, ever since I saw her version in the Vogue Pattern magazine earlier this year. This was found on page 81 of the April/May 2014 issue. 

Betzina states that all she did to change it into the jacket shown was to eliminate the front buttons and pleats on the sleeves.  

I followed Betzina's lead and added a couple more changes. I lengthened the jacket by three inches in order to add side pockets that I borrowed from kAtheRine Tilton's top pattern, Butterick 5891. I didn't adjust the sleeve length at all and it is not quite a long sleeve nor a three-quarter length sleeve. It is somewhere in between. If I make another jacket, I'll have to remember to lengthen the sleeve pattern two inches to have a long sleeve length.

The fabric is a polyester and linen blend that I found in the home decor department. It frays like crazy and was a challenge to press. It worked best to press it with a wool setting followed by the pounding block to tame the seam allowances.


Would you believe that there is another sewing blooper in this project. Can you spot what it might be?

This time the sewing is fine. My mistake is in the size. I cut this in a size A which I don't know what I was thinking because I should have cut a size C. Seriously, I don't know what's up with all my sewing mistakes. It is still wearable and I didn't have plans to put buttons on the jacket anyway. This certainly has turned into the month of sewing bloopers.    


Thankfully, it still worked out.  

I have to tell you, I think this is the coolest pattern with the neckline detailing. If you are worried about constructing this project, stop. Sandra Betzina offers video pattern construction for her Today's Fit patterns including this one. You can find them here at this website for a small fee or you can subscribe and have access to many other videos. I didn't order or view any of the videos but I do think it is a cool idea. 

In addition to the video instructions, Betzina provides additional information in the pattern instructions. She suggests different options for finishing the seams. The jacket is meant to be finished with flat-felled seams but Betzina also includes instructions for French seams using three-thread serging. This design also works well if you would like to finish it with Hong Kong (bound) seams. The instructions were wonderful on this pattern. And so are the neckline pleats and darts--my absolute favourite part of this pattern.   

Happy Sewing!  


7 comments:

  1. I love, love, love your version of this jacket. Oh the neckline!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! What a winner! This is fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although this did not go according to plan I'm glad you can still wear it. Great neck detail. I haven't seen that in rtw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, oh! I have a thing against button downs on me. I bought this pattern even tho. The collar is so swell, now I have a goal- I want a jacket out of it! I love decor prints as sturdy clothes- nice choice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is awesome. The fabric print, and the weighty look of the fabric. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the lovely comments on the jacket. Mama R has also put in a request for one too.

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...