Saturday 16 August 2014

Is it a Jumper or a Dress?

The Tim Gunn Project (Fall / Winter Edition): The Day Dress (Jumper)

Fabric:   2.2 metres of British Wool
               0.5 metres of lining fabric

Zipper:   22" invisible zipper

Pattern:  McCall's 9264 (out-of-print)


I am starting to think about my 10 essential pieces for the upcoming fall/winter season. This project has been on my want-to-make list since I found a previous loved pattern, McCall's 9264 and made another version. My favourite detail are the front bodice darts and square neckline.   

I did make a few changes to this latest version.  I raised the front neckline another inch from the last version making it a total of 2" higher than the original cutting line on the pattern. I also lengthened the hemline by four inches, added side pockets and opted for an invisible zipper instead of the lap zipper suggested on the pattern.  

The fabric has been in my stash for quite some time. It is 100% wool that I found at Fabricland a couple of years ago. I've been sitting on this waiting for the right project to come along. The lining fabric has been sitting in my stash for much longer. The only part of the dress that is lined is the bodice. The pockets are cut out of the fashion fabric.   

This is not how I intend to wear it come the cooler weather. The plan is to wear it as a jumper with a black top underneath.  

Happy Sewing!  


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful job. I love the pattern and the fit seems to be just right.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great dress, your idea of wearing it with a black top underneath sounds great too, stretching it out into winter. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...