Sunday 16 February 2014

Mad for Plaid Pants

Stash-busting 2014: Plaid Wool Pants

Fabric:     2.1 metres of wool

Pants Hook:   1 pant hook

Thread:    I managed to finish off another spool of thread (and then some) from my stash.

Bias Tape:  about 30 inches

Zipper:    7" regular zipper

*****

These plaid pants are the forth pair that I now have in my closet using Vogue 1325. Have I mentioned how much I love this pattern? This pattern is turning out to be my to-go-to pattern for pants. I like the raised waist line and the front pockets. Aww, heck. I love everything about this pattern.

I can't say the same for my plaid matching.  It looks fine where the fronts and backs meet at the centres. It doesn't look so fine where the front and backs meet on the side seam and inner legs. Oh well. It doesn't stop me from lovin' these latest pair of pants.

The fabric that I used is a heavier weight wool than the other three I've made. It has been cold, damn cold in these parts. Of course now that I have these pants done this is the forecast for the upcoming week.


Monday, 17 February
Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 11. High minus 1.
Tuesday, 18 February
Sunny. Low minus 8. High minus 7.
Wednesday, 19 February
Periods of snow. Low minus 12. High minus 6.
Thursday, 20 February
Cloudy with 60 percent chance of flurries. Low minus 5. High minus 4.
Friday, 21 February
Sunny. Low minus 15. High minus 9.

Yup, single digits temperatures. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that we are will experience single digit temperatures. But it would have been perfect if I had these pants earlier last week, they are that toasty warm. No long johns needed with these wool pants.

I scored this gorgeous plaid fabric at Mitchell Fabrics many moons ago. It is 100% wool. Found deep in the basement in their vintage fabric collection, it is a true treasure. I still have enough yardage to make another garment. It did like to fray. I serged the seam allowance and finished off the inside facing with seam binding. It was a bit of a challenge to press, but a good blast of steam took care of the seams. The pockets and fly are lined with lining fabric found in my stash also. And I opted not to interface the front fly and facing pieces since the fabric has good body.

The thread was stash-busted from some left-over thread I picked up when I made Vogue 1312. It was a perfect match. The bias tape was stash-busted too. It was left-over bias tape from the spring coat project. The zipper was stash-busted also but I had to dump out my zipper drawer and do some digging before I found one that worked. It was a close call as to whether or not I would have to run out to the store. It is not a perfect match, the zipper is a little lighter in colour than my fashion fabric but it works none-the-less. Gotta love stash-busting!

Not much else to mention about these pants. Other than maybe I should make a linen pair for summer? Or perhaps a pair in white denim?

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

  1. I need to make these pants. And plaid always makes me happy :) nice work!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...