Friday 28 February 2014

February in Review

February projects, from top left to right:  Cardigan sweater (McCall's 6844), knit tee-shirt (Vogue 1306), cardigan jacket (Vogue 8916), knit dress (Vogue 9968), knickers (Butterick 6031), Valentine's Day hearts (no pattern used) and plaid pants (Vogue 1325).  

 

I've managed to blog about quite a few items but to be completely honest some of these items were completed the previous month and I just didn't have the time to blog about them until this month. And the jacket was actually 80% finished before mid-December. Sometimes, I'm slow but rushing to get things done post-knee surgery wasn't such a great idea. I'm all caught up now.

It was a busy month...

This month I went back to work. Yippeee! Despite the bitter cold, it was nice to get out of the house. I'm over it now, it is still so bitterly cold I'm looking forward to the end of the day and plan to stay indoors all weekend. But I digress... I was pretty slow moving at first and sewing was limited to less challenging tasks. Well, maybe I can't honestly say that.

I made a pair of knickers this month which had been a challenging project in the past. The first pair of knickers that I made last year from an online pattern were not quite the right fit or my desired shape. The second pair using a Kwik Sew pattern were an epic fail. A pair of knickers were proving to be a challenge. But these ones were spot on! Butterick 6031 is a keeper. I know I'll be making more panties during the year. I'm on my way to crossing off one of my 2014 sewing goals.

Oh and there is that festive week-long celebration of all things sewing, Sew Grateful Week. Debi over at My Happy Sewing Place has been the gracious host of this event. She does an amazing job organizing this annual event. A pattern give away winner to be announce tomorrow here. Did you enter? And there are more give-aways happening too!

Did I mention that my name and picture appeared in the second issue of Burda Style US? It was a brief mention on the page of unique sewing tools. The spring issue came out on news stands three days ago. Can you guess which sewing tool I said was my favourite?  

And the tally marks are adding up!


Fifty-nine days down, three hundred six more days to go in the 2014 RTW Fast. I'm quite proud to say that I have not purchased any ready-to-wear, vintage or second-hand items. I will admit that I did admire this shirt while at the mall though. And that was it. Even though I did admire (and touch) it, I'm happy to report that it is still at the store (or in someone else's closet).

Ralph Lauen Spring 2014
It was nice to see that peplums are still making an appearance this spring since I do have another peplum top pattern I would like to make.

My stash-busting journey did not go as well as the RTW Fast this month. I became weak at the knees and lost all will-power when a lovely off-white fabric that I had my eye on for about a year and a half came up as 70% off. And then there was a funky print fabric that I spotted in the home decor section that would be perfect for a skirt. What can I say, I'm not perfect. I'll try to be a better stash buster next month.



Items
Stash-busted this year
Added to stash this year
Fabric
16.1 metres
7.9 metres
Interfacing
1 metre
0
Lining
1 metre
0
Sewing Patterns
8
8
Spools of Thread
6
2
Sewing Needles
1
0
Pant Hooks
2
6
Zippers
2
0
Trim 
0.40 metres
0
Elastic
1.3 metres
6 metres
Bias Tape
0.50 metres
0
Snaps
0
0
Buttons
15
0
Ribbon
0
0
Hook and Eye or other Closures
1
0

My goodness, I didn't expect this to be such a long post. Well, that's all for now.  

Happy Sewing!  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! I worry that I ramble on too much with these posts. Would you believe this is the edited down version?

      Delete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...