Wednesday 3 July 2013

Maxi Skirt for moi

I might have mentioned this before but I'm petite and I'm okay with that because I can still wear a maxi skirt. I love that this style is in for the summer.


maxi skirt  


Web definitions
A skirt is a tube- or cone-shaped garment that hangs from the waist and covers all or part of the legs..

I picked up a maxi skirt on sale that I was drowning in for four reasons.

  1. It was deeply marked down, 
  2. the knit fabric has a beautiful drape and weight, 
  3. I wouldn't be able to pick up fabric for what the skirt was marked down at and 
  4. I can sew! Yes, I had to resew this skirt because it was in an XL. I should have snapped before pictures but take my word for it, it was huge.


First up, the skirt had a toss in the wash. That is the best part of picking up something that you don't mind if it shrinks. And then it went for a tumble in the dryer. It did shrink vertically a bit but I still had to shorten it. And there was quite a bit to take in from the side seams.

I went to work removing the elastic waistband in order to get to the side seams. I used my Marcy Tilton skirt, Vogue 8637, as a rough guideline for the alterations. The elastic waist I removed and replaced it with a smaller length but larger width elastic. The extra width on the elastic casing was enough that I didn't have to touch the hemline.

And that is how I got a maxi skirt for dirt-cheap.

Happy Sewing!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...