Monday 29 July 2013

Mama Needs a New Dress! (or two)

Mama R has put in another request for a new dress. Actually, she has patiently been waiting for me to make another version of Simplicity 2372 for quite some time. She has some satin crepe, the same fabric as in this dress but in a different colour. I should have made a new pattern with the changes made to the last Simplicity 2372 I made. Oh well. But can you believe that even though she has been patiently waiting for another Simplicity 2372 I'm making her wait a little longer?

On my sewing table for Mama R is Simplicity 8024 in a baby blue stretch crepe. It needs some tweaking. The shoulders are awfully W--I--D--E.

The shoulders don't look as wide in the illustration as compared to the pattern piece.  Oh those deceiving fashion illustrations!

I am pleased with how the invisible zipper turned out. I thought that I would have a bit of a challenge sewing in the invisible zipper with the stretch polyester crepe but it was actually the bottom seam below the zipper that provided the challenge. Thanks to basting tape, everything worked out fine.

Right now the dress is hanging on the dress form to be tweaked.  I reshaped the armhole making a narrower shoulder line and I have the dress pinned at the sides to take it in at the bust line. So far, with the first few fittings Mama R seems pleased. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed with proceeding with the rest of the dress and inserting the sleeves that everything will work out fine.

Until then, Happy Sewing!  



2 comments:

  1. The zipper insertion looks great - how did using basting tape help with the bottom seam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that I had to keep lifting up the presser foot because my top fabric was being pushed along. Now that I think about it I should have started from the bottom of the zipper sewing down to the hemline but I did it the other way around. I wish I could have used my walking foot but I had to get as close as I could to the zipper and was using my regular zipper foot. So I used basting tape to secure the section under the zipper snuggly so I could try to get a neat finish.

      Delete

Stash busting: Pullover Skirt / OOP Butterick 5790

Do I need another pull-on maxi skirt?  Not really, this project is all about stash busting this small piece of cotton knit fabric with a tri...