Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Cool Blue Dress: Simplicity 8024

Stash Busting 2013:  Project #28


Fabric Used:                2.6 metre of stretch polyester crepe

Pattern Used:              Simplicity 8024, circa 1998

Basting Tape Used:   44"

Zipper Used:                22" invisible zipper

Thread Used:               finished off another spool of thread

*****

The cool blue dress is for Mama R and she's pleased. The dress matches a sweater that I made for her a little while ago. Unintentional that the two pieces work well together.  

The fabric has been in my stash for years. I picked up over four metres of this when Fanny Fabrics was closing down in the city. This could well have been in my stash for over a decade.  

I think the colour looks great with Mama R's salt and pepper hair.  

The pattern past the Mama R test, non-irritating neckline and ample ease through the tummy section. I'm actually surprised that she didn't request pockets.  I'm sure she forgot and the dress will end up back on my sewing table when she discovers there is left-over fabric.  

The pattern is Simplicity 8024, and an "It's SO EASY" pattern but I would argue that it is actually an "It's SO A PAIN" pattern. It is an out-of-print and the pattern illustration does not truly represent the width of the shoulder seam. The armhole draped over the shoulder and not in an attractive way. I re-cut the shape of the armhole to make it work from notch-to-notch over the shoulder seam. I also found that I had to take in the side seams to try and fit some back lower underarm funk that was going on. In the end, it all worked out but I was a little worried while working through these issues.  

The sleeves are suppose to be lined but I only cut two sleeves because of the weight of the fabric and I didn't want to add more bulk. I did a narrow rolled hem on the bottom of the sleeves and it worked out fine.  

I'm glad everything worked out fine in the end and that Mama R is thrilled with her cool blue dress but if you pick up the pattern and decide to give it a whirl I would recommend a muslin first.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

In Sewing News Today...

Sewing blooper #... actually, I lost count. I cut out a couple of pairs of panties using left over knit from this top . The plan was ...