Sunday 12 May 2013

My Favourite Sewing Memories...

My favourite sewing memories, I owe to the greatest woman I know, Mama R.  

She came to this country as a young woman who didn't speak the language of her new home. She had a lot of struggles raising a young family of four and working a full-time job.

She did all of this while fitting into a new culture and learning a new language with very little free time and help. The Grey Nuns, a fixture in the Manitoba scene back-in-the-day, gave my Mom a second hand sewing machine that she still has today. 

She didn't have the time to sit me down on her lap as she mended and sewed our clothes. But she was an important role model and still is today. My favourite sewing memories are more recent ones. The times we spend together creating new projects and working on ideas. Although our tastes are different, I always appreciate her feedback and help.   

I love you Mama R, Happy Mother's Day!  

Happy Sewing!  


1 comment:

  1. I think Mama R were like many women of her generation, strong and determined. It's so wonderful that you can still sew together and enjoy each other!

    ReplyDelete

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...