Sunday 26 May 2013

All Bound Up

Have you seen this little tool before? It is called a binder foot. It is suppose to a handy little tool to help in attaching bias tape.

For thinner widths of bias tape you would feed the tape through the grooves on the side choosing the appropriate sized groove.  The choices vary from the five holes located on the conical tape guide. If you have a wider width of bias tape you and feed it directly into the inside of the conical tape guide from the front of the foot. That is the bonus of this foot there are lots of options when it comes to tape widths.
I'm not sure if you can tell in the the above photo but at the narrowest point of the conical tape guide there is a little screw.  This allows you to adjust the tape guide position. It is very flexible.

I'm sure that once I master the fine features of this foot I could produce some nice looking bound seams. But I quickly abandoned this tool early in the project I was working on.

I went back to my old ways and a sense of comfort in doing things the old fashion way.

Once I stitched my seam I would press them open to get ready to attach the seam binding.  I would open up the seam binding and stitching it close to the edge of the seam following the pressed fold as my guideline.


Then I would fold it over to the other side and stitch it down. I used a store bought double fold bias tape and I have to say that I'm thrilled with how it looks.

The binder foot would save me time as I wouldn't have to stitch two lengths of the seam to achieve the bound seam. And I could have followed the pin and stitch method illustrated over at Colette Patterns or at Sewaholic. But I just felt more comfortable with this method and I didn't mind the extra time sitting at the sewing machine.

Well, I have a few more bound seams to take care of...

Happy Sewing!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...