Sunday, 3 March 2013

My Nephews are Stylish Dudes!

Stash Busting 2013:  Project # 10

Fabric Used:    1.9 metres, 100% stretch cotton sateen and 100% polyester lining.

Interfacing Used:  0.6 metres

Pattern Used:  Simplicity 4762, circa 2004. 

Buttons Used:   No buttons were used from my stash... yup, I ran out and picked out some new ones.  

*****
I've heard that my nephew is one stylish dude when he gets all dressed up in his wool vest. Now his brother will be just as stylish. 

Front View


Both vests were made in black but in different fabric. I love the feel of the wool but I love sewing the cotton sateen fabric even more. Actually, I think it was the pressing stage that I preferred more in this second version. I didn't have to hand baste this one before pressing. Sweet, since it saved a lot of time. 

Buttons and keyhole shaped buttonholes

Speaking of time, this project did take some time to get done. And a fast approaching birthday was the kick in the pants that I needed. 

As mentioned, it is a second version of the men's vest using Simplicity 4762.  This one was a challenge when it came to fitting.  My nephew doesn't visit his Portuguese Grandparents often enough so that they can fatten him up!  His very tall and slender figure was drowning in a men's small but it's too big for a boys large. 

Back View


There were some serious adjustments to make the muslin work. I omitted the front darts completely and took in the side and centre back seams and that worked with the muslin. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. 

For this project I used one of my favourite sewing machine attachments, the walking foot. This foot came in handy when I had to sew the layers of lining, fabric and interfacing together without it shifting. I can not recommend a walking foot enough. 

The best part of sewing this project was my nephew's smile. He looks so handsome, doesn't he.  

Happy Sewing!   





No comments:

Post a Comment

In Sewing News Today...

Sewing blooper #... actually, I lost count. I cut out a couple of pairs of panties using left over knit from this top . The plan was ...