Thursday 5 July 2012

In Sewing News Today...

I'm not sewing right now. Nope, I'm not even enjoying my new lawn chair that I picked up for my staycation.

I've been fighting a summer cold. I'm blaming my nephew who was over last week with his cold for this one. Just kidding, sort of.  I don't have proof, just a suspicion.  

I don't even feel like hitting the sewing table. But the sewing projects are starting to pile up.

Mama R even put in a request for a new dress. Remember this one? It is Simplicity 2372.

Mama R says that she likes the dress and she wears it quite often. But she just wants a new one tweaked a bit. The list of changes include:

  • longer length sleeves (I'll borrow the sleeve pattern from the jacket included in the pattern)
  • a narrower neckline (I can easily fix this by taking in the shoulder seams at the neckline)
  • remove centre front seam (easy)
  • add back centred zipper (also easy)
Easy changes, I just need to shake this cold and get back to the cutting table.  


I was reading the new issue of Western Living and I came across this page. I was excited to see something that I thought was a sewing theme article.

Not quite.

It is a "picnic side table" inspired by a sewing basket design by Denmark-based designers GamFratesi.

Hold on to your seat.  Retail $1,291.00 (Cdn).

Seriously?  I could head over to Value Village pick up an old sewing basket take a hammer to it and a can of black paint and Wah-la! Call it modern.

Silly people. I'm kidding, I do like it as a side table. It is clever, but I don't know if I would be so quick to classify it as "modern". To me, it has more of a cottage feel to it.


And check out these shoes! If I was in need of a new pair of shoes, which I don't, I would want one of these.  They are by a German company called Trippen. I think they are just fabulous.

Sew fabulous that they have me thinking about an old McCall's in my pattern stash.

Many moons ago when I actually did fit into a size 6, McCall's 8823 was one of my favourite patterns. I made this pullover sleeveless slim fitting dress with a mock back wrap in silk. I wore it every chance that presented itself.

It was a great summer dress. And now long maxi dresses have come back. And it has me wondering if I should try to revive this pattern and make it fit on my [ahem] size 14 frame.

Have you tried to grade a pattern up significantly? Did it work? Any words of wisdom that you might like to pass along?

I would graciously accept any assistance.

Well, that is all in sewing news today. Happy Sewing.

2 comments:

  1. Mornin' Love reading your blog. I, too am a prairie's girl that loves sewing. Do you follow 'Casey's Elegant Musings'? She has just posted about upgrading and downgrading the size of a pattern. I haven't tried it, yet...but, she makes it look pretty easy! I was gifted a couple of patterns from the 50's which are about 2 sizes to small for me and I'm going to try Casey's method to increase the size...I will let you know what happens!! take care, PattyRae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PattyRae, thank you for the heads up on Casey's grading posts. How timely!

      Delete

Stash busting: Cotton Knit Tee / Closet Core Ebony

  This is the third version of Closet Core's Ebony t-shirt pattern and it's my favourite one.  There were small subtle changes to t...