Saturday 18 February 2012

In sewing news today...

{Source}
No sewing for me... 

Today is two weeks since my accident and, fingers crossed, I find out on Tuesday if I can return to work next week. I realize that it takes awhile for a rib injury to heal but it would be nice to cross that back-to-work mark.

I will tell you I wouldn't wish a rib injury on anyone.

Besides dealing with pain, the boredom, the fatigue (hard to find a comfortable position to sleep), the worse is not getting any sewing done.

No wait... the worse was missing fabric shopping for grad dress fabric with my niece and sister-in-law.

I really miss sewing (and fabric shopping), just saying. Okay, I'll stop whining.

Sew, I have been spending quite a bit of time with my laptop (and ice pack) getting my sewing fix virtually.

The Return of the Charlie Girl!

Peter at Male Pattern Boldness has wow'd me with the 1970s faux fur coat that he has been shaving, stitching and rocking this week. He has really done an impressive job with this coat. It has been an entertaining adventure in sewing to follow.

Location, Location, Location!

The Sewing Summit, October 11-13, 2012 in Salt Lake City, Utah announced their location this week. I spent some time dreaming about going. A gal could dream, can't she? Even though the timing doesn't work. It sounds like it would be fun though.

New Craftsy Course!  

{Source}
Talking about classes and workshops have you heard that Gertie has another online course? The Starlet Suit Jacket! and it is 50% off, gotta luv that.  Added bonus it includes the pattern for the jacket and skirt. I love the slanted pockets on the jacket. It is a really cute jacket. Are any of you planning on taking Gertie's course?

And celebrating our favourites!

Tilly over at tilly and the buttons posted this:

Many sewing patterns get made up once - if that - and spend the rest of their lives on the shelf. And then there are the special few which are so versatile, wearable and totally gorgeous that they get made up again and again. The names PendrellSorbetto and Ginger have entered the stitcher's vernacular, even if you haven't made them up yourself. Even more bizarrely, some of my non-sewing friends will comment on my "Beignet" rather than my "skirt"! (Ooh that sounds rude.)

We should celebrate these patterns! With the One Week, One Pattern project, the (mini) challenge comes in really pushing the boundaries of the pattern's versatility, finding new and creative ways of restyling similar-looking garments so it doesn't look like you're basically wearing the same outfit all week. Or maybe you've only made one version of the pattern and want the added challenge of wearing the exact same garment all week... and not spilling wine all down it...
What a great idea to celebrate our favourite patterns that seem to be made more than once. I'm trying to break out of my addiction to Vogue 2885 but it is so darn comfortable. I think I now have five skirts in my closet made from the same pattern. And even Mama R had a few versions of a tweaked Vogue pattern sitting in her closet.

I don't know if I can get away with wearing all of my Vogue 2885 skirt version all week. I need pockets at work, I didn't put any pockets on those skirts! Hmmm, maybe I'll discover a new favourite before then?

It will be interesting to see what everyone's favourite repeat pattern is, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Well, that's all in sewing news for now.

Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stash busting: Wool cardigan / OOP Kwik Sew 4192

Back in September, I made a simple pull-on  wool knit skirt with the intention of sewing a matching pullover top  to go with it.  The pullo...