Monday 2 January 2012

In sewing news today...

I don't know what the heck I was thinking!

Vogue 8752 and Roller Foot
Today I decided to tackle the unfinished projects of 2011. The first out of storage was Vogue 8752, Marcy Tilton Design Misses' Jacket.

The fabric I chose for this project was an animal print corduroy. I even went out and picked out funky animal print buttons. I thought it would be fun to jump on this animal craze that has been going on.

I was wrong, I'm so over the animal print corduroy. Besides, it is way too much animal print for my five one frame. I don't know what the heck I was thinking.

I'm also not lovin' this Marcy Tilton pattern.  I wish I read some of those PatternReviews.com critiques for some helpful insights before I picked up the pattern.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not at all turned off by Marcy Tilton patterns. They are challenging and fun to piece together. This particular Marcy Tilton design just didn't work for me.

The jacket is described as loose fitting but should be described as very loose fitting.

There is an upside to this project. I picked up a roller foot for my Janome and I'm really happy that I did. It is perfect for sewing difficult-to-feed fabrics like corduroy. You wouldn't believe how smoothly you can sew corduroy with this foot. And I do have more corduroy in my fabric stash. Oh, and I bet it would be great to sew velvet too!

Next in Que:  

The next project on my sewing machine is Simplicity 3673.

It is a 1950's Retro re-issue pattern and it has been on my want-to-make list for some time.

I'm a little fearful that it might not work out and that has been keeping me from sewing this project earlier.

But since I'm starting the new year with getting my sewing disasters out of the way, what the heck.

Pencil skirts don't typically work on me, even though I love how they look. I should stick with skirts that have some flare. Knowing this I didn't cut out Version C, instead I cut Version A/B with the slimmer skirt. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and I plan on using another new sewing machine foot with this project. Can you guess what it is?

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

March in Review

Happy Easter! Photo from the 2024 Easter Parade in NYC { Photo Credit :  Joanna Moriello, New York Daily News} This is a scene outside St. P...